Considering an upgrade from ShoreTel 14.2 to Mitel Connect? You’ve come to the right place! Below is a quick overview of the most asked Mitel Connect Questions.
Mitel Connect Upgrade Q&A
1. What is Mitel MiVoice or MiCloud Connect?
MiVoice Connect (or just “Connect”), is the latest release of the ShoreTel on-premises IP-PBX platform. Essentially, it is the next software upgrade from ShoreTel 14.2. Although KTS Networks will continue to support you, Mitel has announced the end of life for 14.2 and all previous releases. That doesn’t mean your system stops working but it does mean that there will be no future releases and if you have an issue, there will be no new bug fixes.
2. How different is using Mitel Connect compared with ShoreTel 14.2?
While the Connect platform is an updated release of 14.2, many of the changes are seen in the user-interface, collaboration, and advanced cloud-features. There is a new Desktop Client (Connect Client), a new Management interface (Connect Director), a new Contact Center Agent interface, and a new Mobile interface (Connect for Mobile).
3. What enhancements are included for free with migration to Connect?
With a Connect migration from 14.2, there is a free license upgrade to the Essentials Bundle. All of your standard Extension and Mailbox licenses will be upgraded to this new license bundle which includes: Connect for Mobile, Connect Softphone, Connect for Chrome, and more.
4. What are the System Requirements for the upgrade to Connect?
While there are not many “requirements” for upgrading to Connect, there are some infrastructure prerequisites that should be noted. If your system doesn’t meet these minimum requirements, a further “project” may be necessary to bring your system into compliance:
- All servers must be Windows Server 2012R2 or later
- Must have 8GB of RAM, minimum
- Must be on ShoreTel version 13.x or 14.x (additional charges may apply to upgrade from earlier versions)
- If you are using Enterprise Contact Center, you will be on version 8.x or 9.x in order to upgrade to Connect Contact Center
- 64bit Windows is required
- VMWare ESXi 5.5 or 6 is needed for utilizing any of the virtual switches and appliances.
5. Will we be able to use the same desktop handsets?
All 200 and 500 series ShoreTel handsets, other than the IP210 continue to be supported on Connect. Also keep in mind that with Connect, the EdgeGateway will replace the VPN Concentrator and the phones from the VPN concentrator will not work with the EdgeGateway. The 400 series phones are the only option for use with the EdgeGateway.
6. How long will the upgrade take to implement and are there any concerns about upgrading to Connect?
The planning process for the upgrade usually requires a 2 -4 week lead time. The actual upgrade is scheduled around your company’s needs and can be done before or after hours to minimize any disruption to your business. We also help your staff be fully prepared for the first day of service by providing remote training.
7. Is Mitel Connect the best business phone system on the market?
Mitel seems to think so after investing half a billion dollars into your platform as the Connect platform remains one of the best-selling on-premises IP PBX’s on the market. We like the feature-rich applications and user interface so much that we use it in-house!
8. Who wouldn’t want to upgrade from ShoreTel to Mitel Connect?
If you are happy with your system as it functions today, and are not afraid of not being able to replace switches and failing equipment, you are more than welcome to stay on 14.2 or prior.
9. Is the upgrade from ShoreTel to Mitel Connect Free?
For KTS Networks customers who are under the KTS Assurance agreement, the latest Mitel Connect software is included—if you schedule your upgrade before November 1, 2020. Customers who are not on the Support plan will receive a quote for the upgrade.
10. What are the licensing bundles for Mitel Connect?
All ShoreTel models have been bundled into the Connect licensing based on 5 bundled licenses:
- Courtesy (extension only)
- Telephony (Courtesy + Voicemail license)
- Essentials (Telephony + mobility client, desktop client, Chrome plugin, Microsoft Teams Plugin)
- Standard (Essentials + CRM license, Remote Phone License)
- Advanced (Standard + Operator license, Workgroup license)
11. If we choose to migrate to the cloud, is it secure?
MiCloud offers advanced security measures including full encryption to meet stringent security requirements in the cloud.
12. Are MACs supported on Connect?
Yes, there is a brand-new native MAC client in Connect with the same feature set as the PC version.
Are you a KTS customer but not yet on KTS Assurance? Click here to learn more about special discounts, updates, and ShoreTel/Mitel support.